Admiralty Law

Antitrust Law

Asbestos Law

Civil Rights Law

Communications Law

Contract Law

Dispute Resolution

Divorce Law

Education Law

Family Law

Health Law

Immigration Law


Internet Law

Intellectual Property

Landlord Tenant Law

Law Schools

Lawsuit Funding

Lemon Law

Medical Malpractice

Other Law Fields

Personal Injury

Prepaid Legal Services

Structured Settlement

Tax Law

Workers Comp


Free Legal Advice

Online Legal Forms

Legal Answers

Legal Definitions

Advertise on LDB



What Filing Status Should You Use?

Navigation:  Home > Tax Law > What Filing Status Should you Use?


As a general rule of thumb, married people should file jointly, because it is generally advantageous, as married filing jointly is the most advantageous tax bracket. If you are single, but are taking care of a dependent child, you should file as head of household tax rates are lower than filing a single return.

If you are divorced any time during the year, you should file as a single person, either single or as head of household if you have dependent children. But, if you are separated and even leaving apart, but not divorced, you must still file as a married person.

Sponsored Ads

Find a Lawyer

Sponsored Links

Your Ad Here