Admiralty Law

Antitrust Law

Asbestos Law

Civil Rights Law

Communications Law

Contract Law

Dispute Resolution

Divorce Law

Education Law

Family Law

Health Law

Immigration Law


Internet Law

Intellectual Property

Landlord Tenant Law

Law Schools

Lawsuit Funding

Lemon Law

Medical Malpractice

Other Law Fields

Personal Injury

Prepaid Legal Services

Structured Settlement

Tax Law

Workers Comp


Free Legal Advice

Online Legal Forms

Legal Answers

Legal Definitions

Advertise on LDB



Does my Employer have to pay for my travel-related expenses when I use a personal vehicle?

Navigation:  Home > Tax Law >


This question receives both good and bad news. The bad news, unfortunately, is that an employer does not have to reimburse you for travel expenses.


The good news, however, is that you can simply deduct those expenses when you file your taxes using the standard mileage rate. If you use your car for work either in your own business or as an employee of a company, you can deduct some of your car-related expenses using one of two methods. Either you can a) use the standard per-business-mile allowance, which is $37.5 cents per mile for business travel in 2004, or b) you can deduct the actual expenses, keeping track of all of your expenses for gas, oil, tires, maintenance, and insurance.


Keep in mind, however, that normal travel-related expenses such as commuting to and from work are not deductible.

Sponsored Ads

Find a Lawyer

Sponsored Links

Your Ad Here