Antitrust Law

Asbestos Law

Civil Rights Law

Communications Law

Contract Law

Dispute Resolution

Divorce Law

Education Law

Family Law

Health Law

Immigration Law


Internet Law

Intellectual Property

Landlord Tenant Law

Law Schools

Lawsuit Funding

Lemon Law

Medical Malpractice

Other Law Fields

Personal Injury

Prepaid Legal Services

Structured Settlement

Tax Law

Workers Comp


Free Legal Advice

Online Legal Forms

Legal Answers

Legal Definitions

Advertise on LDB



Family-Based Green Cards

Navigation:  Home > Immigration Law> Family-Based Green Cards


The most popular means to getting a green card is if an alien is an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. Immediate relatives include spouses of a U.S. Citizen, unmarried minor children of U.S. Citizens, parents of a U.S. Citizen, or a spouse of a deceased U.S. Citizen.

226,000 immigrants are also allowed into the United States every year under a family-based preference group. These include, in order of preference:  adult unmarried children of U.C. Citizens, spouses and children of permanent residents, children of permanent residents, and siblings of U.S. Citizens over 21 years old.

To get a family-based green card, the U.S. Citizen or permanent resident must file a petition for the relative to come into the United States.

Sponsored Ads

Find a Lawyer

Sponsored Links

Your Ad Here