Antitrust Law

Asbestos Law

Civil Rights Law

Communications Law

Contract Law

Dispute Resolution

Divorce Law

Education Law

Family Law

Health Law

Immigration Law


Internet Law

Intellectual Property

Landlord Tenant Law

Law Schools

Lawsuit Funding

Lemon Law

Medical Malpractice

Other Law Fields

Personal Injury

Prepaid Legal Services

Structured Settlement

Tax Law

Workers Comp


Free Legal Advice

Online Legal Forms

Legal Answers

Legal Definitions

Advertise on LDB



Employment-Based Visas

Navigation:  Home > Immigration Law> Employment-Based Visas


To get an immigrant visa based on employment, a U.S. business must sponsor you. The U.S. business must first obtain a labor certification, stating that there is an unavailability of U.S. workers for the employment position. The alien must then file an INS Form I-140 along with the labor certification, and the INS has to approve the petition. Proof of education and experience must also accompany the petition, and the sponsoring U.S. company has to submit proof that it can pay the alien a salary.

Although someone who comes into the United States on an employment-based visa does not have to keep the offered position permanently, if the immigrant quits soon thereafter, it could raise flags with the INS indicating the job offer wasn’t genuine and was only made to get the immigrant a visa.

Sponsored Ads

Find a Lawyer

Sponsored Links

Your Ad Here